Monday, February 13, 2012

Not Again!

I don't know how this happened. Nobody does. In fact, everybody is saying the same thing, "How did this happen again?" 


I'm on the committee again, the preservation committee for the spring planting festival. It's one of the biggest public celebrations in town, held at the shrine where I play the drums (taiko) every Tuesday night. It's actually my membership in that percussion troupe that has opened the doors to this inner sanctum I won't even pretend to know anything about. While everybody else in the drumming group, dubbed "The God of Light Drummers," quickly came up with a plausible excuse for not being able to attend the planning committee meeting,  I automatically said, "yes," before I even understood what was being asked of me (unlike everyone else in The God of Light Drummers I'm usually in the dark). Which is exactly what I have to do at the committee meeting, just automatically say "yes" to every motion brought to the floor.  


Kamezo and Otsuru, the "king and queen" 
.
It's not a bad gig really. Like last year, we'll all gather at  a local Italian restaurant and if things go like they did last time, I'll be sitting with the local Liberal Democratic Party representatives (they eat fast and leave early) and constabulary chiefs from the neighborhood police precinct. So the only trouble I could possibly get into might be if I answer, "yes," when asked to play the role of one of the festival's favorite characters (this guy, in the picture on the right). 


Related posts: The Beat Goes On
               Springing Up   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment