Monday, August 15, 2011

Going to Extremes

This whole Japan experience is really wasted on me. I just don't have a good appreciation for the traditional Japanese arts and culture that have captivated the imaginations of people around the globe for centuries. On top of that I find all the cutting edge gadgetry as puzzling as that other twin mystery of this oriental land, anime and manga. Then there is fashion. While the unique sartorial styles wrapping the denizens of metropolitan Tokyo and beyond haven't totally  escaped my attention, I really just don't have a good grasp of the whole fashion scene.



The other day my 16-year-old niece, Flower Bud, asked me if I wanted to sit down and have a cup of tea with her. I couldn't refuse her kindness.



After tipping her cup to drink the last drop she suddenly rose and to my utter shock and embarrassment she was wearing nothing below her waist but a pair of pink underpants. Unable to bear the sight, I quickly covered my eyes with the palm of my hand.

"What are you doing?" she queried.

"You're standing there in your skivvies. I can't look," I uttered in total disbelief of what I had just witnessed. 

"They aren't underpants!!! They're pants!!!!" she protested vehemently before storming out of the room.




Then I suddenly experienced something like deja vu. I had the distinct feeling I had seen those pants before. Where could it have been I wondered. Then it hit me.

"Those are the same pants Uncle Pinky wears," I cried out.

I had seen them covering the bottom of Uncle Pinky, a local middle-aged male resident widely known for his shocking pink attire (click on Uncle Pinky and you'll get the picture).




In a flash Flower Bud had returned after undergoing what can only be described as a complete wardrobe metamorphosis. I still don't get the whole couture picture but when it comes to Japanese threads I guess that's the long and short of it.


Related post: Say "Cheezu!"

No comments:

Post a Comment