Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Art of Saving the Planet


This poster from Japan's Ministry of the Environment illustrates a myriad of uses for the traditional Japanese furoshiki. Sort of a refined version of the bandanna, the furoshiki is an earth friendly wrapper that can be reused over and over again to cover everything from soup to nuts (well maybe not soup but just about everything else in between) whether it be a gift or something for your own personal use or consumption.

Tokyo Station under wraps
A couple of years ago my son, Jiro,  came up with perhaps a new use for this wonder cloth. Dubbed  "The Furoshiki Project," his idea was to narrow down all your earthly possessions to a precious few essentials that could all fit squarely within the confines of this knotted linen. I thought it was a great idea and since then I've been on the hunt for a piece of cloth big enough to hold all that I need. Today I think I found just what I've been looking for (pictured above right).





No comments:

Post a Comment