Sunday, June 5, 2011

Festival Spirits


Can you see them? I couldn't see them either, nor could my wife, until we got home from a festival at a local shrine and viewed some of the photos I shot. Above us, before us, all around us, there they were - spirits!


At first I thought the lens was dirty, but the images didn't appear in all the photos I took. After ruling out smudges and reflections of light, I'm left with one explanation - kodama (spirits).

Kodama, says the entry
in Wikipedia, "is a spirit from Japanese folklore which is believed to live in certain trees (similar to the Dryad of Greek myth). Cutting down a tree which houses a kodama is thought to bring misfortune and such trees are often marked with [a] shimenawa rope." After searching kodama on the Internet I discovered some images that were strikingly similar to these you see here (like those on a Japanese blog post entitled, Natural Orbs in Ina Valley).

Still can't see them? Click on the photos to enlarge them but it may be that only those with a pure heart can truly see them.

Similar story: Like a Charm

No comments:

Post a Comment