Monday, June 27, 2011

Cyrus Hits Video Store Shelves



Temple Vallians the wait is over. The much anticipated Sundance film festival sensation, Cyrus, written and directed by brothers Jay and Mark Duplass and starring John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill, Marisa Tomei, and Catherine Keener has finally made its Temple Valley video store debut (where the staff sometimes asks me where they can find a certain title on the shelf in their store - really).


I really like this little movie. Maybe it's because the main character, Cyrus, reminds me of my eldest son, Primero. Cyrus' mother (played by academy award winning actress Marisa Tomei) reminds me of Primero's mother. Then there is John Reilly's character who seems very familiar to me too.


Roger Ebert (I never see a film unless Ebert gives it the thumbs up - otherwise how will I know if it's good or not) in his review of Cyrus writes, "here is a film that uses very good actors and gives them a lot of improvisational freedom to talk their way into, around and out of social discomfort. And it’s not snarky. It doesn’t mock these characters. It understands they have their difficulties and hopes they find a way to work things out. There’s your suspense: How can they?"


Then there is this song from the soundtrack. I can't get it out of my head.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I find the voice of the lead singer from Blind Pilot to be vaguely Raffiesque.
    (If you want to find out what Raffi is up to these days check out: http://www.raffinews.com)

    ReplyDelete