Friday, September 4, 2009

Breakfast at the Shiritori Cafe



The breakfast menu at the Shiritori Café was toast after all! A Paraguayan friend of mine who lives not to far from me in Yokohama once recommended natto* (fermented soybeans) as an excellent way to top off your toast. Many people, including natives of Japan, find it difficult to stomach this sticky delicacy with a pungent aroma. It’s really not to bad once you get used to it. I was looking forward to trying it on toast, maybe with some melted cheese even (yummy!) but the stuff is so popular in my household there was none to be found in the refrigerator. I had to defer my epicurean adventure and settle for somewhat less exotic but decidedly delicious homemade orange marmalade. Let’s see, today’s feature dish at the Shiritori Café was toast, or in Japanese, tousto. That means tomorrow’s featured menu item will begin with “to.” All I can come up with at the moment is toast, but we’ll have to wait and see what tomorrow’s tide brings our way.


*Have a look at this video on how to eat natto that I gleaned from Youtube.



1 comment: